Tuesday 6 April 2010

I just have to say it: Bad Books

There are things that must be said. One of them is: there are really bad books out there. Of course, you knew it. There is nothing wrong with that. I'm afraid their authors have no idea their books are bad.

The only trouble is: they disguise as good books and we buy them in false belief we will enjoy them. We will not but by then it's too late and in case of e-books there is no way we can get our money back and show the author what we think about their creations.

The blurb sounds good and interesting. The excerpt is funny and looks like it's worth the money. Wrong. From the second chapter on you get a ridiculous plot, characters that don't have any character, new characters that pop out of nowhere (like, "Oh, this is my brother. What, didn't I mention I have a brother? Well, we've been estranged for years.") just because the author realized he needs a character to say or do something.

It pisses me off because I paid for a book, for a story. All I get is either some wild fantasy about a perfect world where everyone is happy about the protags' sexual orientation, or badly written filling between ridiculous sex scenes.

End of rant.

9 comments:

  1. Yeah. Whatever.

    More importantly, you know I can read you talking about me on Twitter, right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He he he. I KNEW I can make you say something. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Matthew, you do know she asked me to help her set up a Twitter account, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. No surprise here. Give her a twink in blue mesh and she'll do anything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The two of you suck.

    Oh, and Matthew... don't you think it's about time you did a new post and perhaps linked to a few of the great reviews you've been getting for Platypus? Well??

    I think you're just as bad as Sean is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nah. I'm waiting for YOUR great review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. *sigh* Hopeless. The pair of you.

    ReplyDelete